How to Renew a Driver’s License in Iowa
Need to renew your Iowa driver’s license? We have collected helpful information to assist you with the renewal process and make it easier and more convenient.
There are three ways to renew a driver’s license in Iowa. You can either do it:
- Online application and Checklist download
- By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
- In person at your local DMV office.
One Primary List Proof
- Iowa photo ID card
- Iowa photo driver’s license
- Government-issued certified copy of U.S. birth certificate with raised seal
- Military ID card
- USCIS document / United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Iowa Department of Corrections notarized copy of Inmate Descriptor Inquiry or Client Information Inquiry
- Valid U.S. passport
One Secondary List Proof
- Any document from the primary list
- Photo ID card which is not expired for one year or more
- Indian Treaty card
- Translated foreign birth certificate by an approved translator
- DD214 forms
- Employer ID card
- State tax document, W-2 forms are acceptable
- Health insurance card
- Gun permit
- Marriage certificate
- Canadian Social Insurance card
- Welfare card
- School transcript or certified school record
- Prison release document
- Voter registration card
- Student ID card
- Social Security card
- Pilot’s license
- Court order containing your date of birth and full name
- Affidavit identifying a minor which is notarized and certified. Parent or guardian must also provide proof of identity
One Proof of Social Security Documents (must indicate the SSN):
- Social Security Card indicating Social Security Number
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documents with control number, if temporarily in the U.S. or from a foreign country
Unfortunately, due to security reasons, online renewal is not an option in the state of Iowa.
Renewal by Mail
Renewing your license by mail will only give your license a temporary six months extension.
To renew a driver’s license in Iowa via mail:
1. Send a check or money order, the check or money order must be written out to Division of Motor Vehicles.
2. Include Proof of Social Security number
3. Photocopy of insurance card. The insurance card must show that there is liability coverage.
Note: If the driver is not the owner of the vehicle and does not have proof of insurance, then he or she will need to enclose a non-ownership of a motor vehicle affidavit along with the other documents.
Renewal in Person
Call the Iowa driver’s license station and confirm for office hours before visiting in person. Small business offices may not be open Mondays through Fridays.
- Valid Driver’s License Renewal – $20 for five-year license
- License for drivers below 18 years old and above 70 years old -$8 for two-year license
When to renew your driver’s license
- A Driver’s license issued in Iowa is valid from two to five years and expires on your birthday. But it is still valid for another 60 days.
- You must pass the vision screening during renewal of license, but if license is expired for more than a year, the knowledge and driving test must also be taken
- You can renew your driver’s license 30 days to a year before expiration.
For Suspended or Revoked License
For suspended/revoked driver’s license, all three tests should be taken which are vision, knowledge and driving test. A proof on financial responsibility is needed such as SR-22 form. A reinstatement fee shall also be imposed for a suspended or revoked license.